Monday, January 30, 2012

In Honor of Sherry Arnold - Virtual Run

I know I owe you a race report from Tinker Bell but first, I need to get the word out about something that is so important to me, and my fellow runners, all over the world. There has been a heartbreaking event among the running community that shakes me. I love to get up and run in the mornings, even in the dark, the cold, and sometimes a little rain may not stop me. What happened to Sherry Arnold stops me in my tracks, makes me take pause, and feel just a little less comfortable being out solo. I used to run with my German Shepard (mix) but now I carry mace... I'd like to say it makes me feel better, but it doesn't. The events that transpired on January 7th, 2012 were senseless, horrifying, and shattering to so many. Like an earthquake shaking lives from sea to sea, it has rocked our sense of safety and leaves me questioning why things like this happen.

So now what? What do we do? The only thing we can, continue doing whatever we can to honor a life taken from this earth, doing what she loved, run. February 11th, I will be running in honor of Sherry Arnold, wife, mother, teacher, runner, so many things, and yet stolen from her were the things she will never get to be, like grandmother... It breaks my heart, even though I have never met her, so many of us leave the house in the morning, never even contemplating there is a slightest chance we won't return safe and sound.

If you feel this loss, and want to join me (and MANY others) in honoring her, visit Shut Up + Run's Blog post with all the details on how you can do just that.

Remember that life can be so unpredictable, always tell those you love, that you love them, every chance you get... My thoughts and prayers are continuous for Sherry's family. I pray that she will be found and laid to rest properly, and justice served to those responsible for this heinous and such unnecessary act. 

2 comments:

  1. Hope,

    This is incredibly sad. Thanks for posting this and giving the running community a chance to do something to honor Sherry. I will be participating in the virtual run and spreading light and love.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very sad story. All we can do is to run in honor. Do this thing great in her great memory.

    ReplyDelete