Sunday, November 13, 2011

Getting Crafty... or at least I thought!

Ok, so let me first start off by saying, I would never have called myself crafty, not in the tricky, cunning way and certainly not in the glue gun and ribbon way, but when I started on this mission to raise money with Team in Training, I found myself the later of the two crafty's - or at least I thought!

I have been painting, hot gluing and making more bows then I would have ever imagined in the past month or so... I am not sure how it started really...oh right, Pinterest. I was turned onto this site where people from all over are just a smidgen into a whole world of boards and pins... I was suckered into this vortex by my loving mother in law, thanks GiGi! It all started with the googly eye frame for Halloween...

Ah yah, my frames were AWESOME (if I do say so myself!) and then that lead to the, "I bet I could sell these and raise some money for LLS" thought... next thing you know I am spending my Friday and Saturday nights (yes, way different than the weekends of the early 90's) designing, painting and creating these little pieces of handcrafted art decor. I also began making lit cubes, which are made to look like little presents... I made one for Halloween & I have made more than a dozen for the holiday season... I love these things, they are SO pretty & they make great little night lights!
 
Well this past Saturday was the big craft show where I was going to sell out of all my frames, cubes and bows, where I would easily be able to hit my 50% mark in my fundraising efforts, and undoubtedly be taking orders for customized creations (I even had the carbon copy invoice papers to do it!) - Oh yes, this event had me up near midnight for days, preparing for what would be a glorious day in my TNT journey. I just knew it would be worth it...
Look at me, so excited & hopeful... such a shame...lol
We arrive right on time, GiGi was so fabulous to come help me! We got our cramped little table set up, albeit my marketing skills kinda blew on this one, I didn't make price signs, and apparently (I learned later on) people need to see how they could use a bow, like I should have taken pictures of how I use bows in my decorating... Honestly, I just thought it would sell itself because it's a bow - not a juicer, but I guess I was wrong.

It started off slow, but it was cold out... after the first 15 minutes I had texted Stephen that we'd had a few lookers but nothing sold yet. After an hour and a half, my next text simply said "This sucks." - I know I am an overachiever and perhaps expected too much, but when it came to be 1:30pm (4.5 hours into the 6 hour event) and I had sold 1 cube and 1 frame, and I had already cried 3 times... I was exhausted, I was disappointed and I just couldn't understand why people wouldn't love my work... especially since it was all going to charity!!!

The next hour and a half was slow and painful, as people were obvious in their attempts to not make eye contact, walk by quickly saying "Pretty, Pretty" (yeah blue hair, I heard you!) and when I finally decided to take a few minutes away to catch the end of the first half of the Gamecocks game, I returned to see GiGi had sold another frame... I contemplated the notion that perhaps I needed to watch the rest of the game and let her handle the table but I didn't...

The only other thing we sold was another cube, the to the Partylite Consultant at the table next to ours. So 6 hours, 3 full on tearfeasts, 2 fight hard to hold back tears, and 1 pathetic attempt to raise money... we sold 2 cubes and 2 frames. So, between the cost of the table and lunch, I am down $70 and raised a whopping $44 for TNT. Not exactly the all out, balls to the walls event I had in my mind, imagined.

I guess I must have sounded so down my darling hubby arranged for GiGi to keep Gabby so we could go out to dinner, I could have those drinks and then get a full, uninterrupted nights sleep... yeah, he's a keeper :)  So after the Great Craft debacle of 2011, I arrived home to see my angel and hubby waiting to greet me in the driveway. Nothing like a nice family hug to melt away all the bad of the day. Gabby now gives kisses, which is so adorable and makes my heart smile. Stephen and I did have an awesome dinner out, I had a few Cosmos (made it for happy hour too which is bonus!) and of course we did partake in a caffeinated (loving the Pumpkin Spice coffee or latte or whatever it is!) stroll through Barnes & Noble... then home where I slept so soundly, it was pure bliss...

As far as Crafting for a Cure, crashing and burning, I won't allow myself to get too discouraged, just know that I don't fail...  While this was an unexpected set back, I am moving forward. I have about a dozen custom frames that I need to do for some awesome peeps... and I know that the next show will be great...it has to be! (I've warned my relatives that if I don't sell this stuff they are all getting a frame and cube for Christmas and my tree will be covered in just bows!!!)

Just a few of my little frames!
I will also post pictures of my little masterpieces on my facebook page...ya know, in case you want one...lol (hey, I am not giving up!)

1 comment:

  1. I hate that your craft show didn't go well! I love those cubes and probably would have bought waaay too many if I had been there!

    How sweet of your hubby to take you out to dinner!

    ReplyDelete